Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Those aren't my fingers!

This morning I was back at the police station, to make my second attempt at obtaining some fingerprints. The volunteer that I spoke to at first seemed pretty helpful, and he soon got someone out to help me go through the process - after collecting the $26 fee. Having not had my fingerprints taken before, I was expecting to only have the ends of my fingers in the ink, so I was a little surprised when the officer suggested that I take off my wedding ring and watch. A couple of sheets of ink later, the end-of-my-finger prints, the whole-of-my-fingers prints and my palm prints had been transferred on to the paper. It took about five minutes of washing to get rid of the majority of the remaining ink on my hands, but the officer was able to complete all the other details while I was doing this. Then, feeling somewhat like a spy, I went to the Post Office to send off the deocuments to the FBI. TV has probably made me imagine that everyone who works for the FBI is some shadowy intelligence spy, but it's just a government department; so fingers (now un-inked) crossed it won't be too long before they return my US criminal history (a blank piece of paper). Chris

posted at 2:21 pm  

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, the processes you are going through to become an Aussie continue to both entertain and inform. Please keep this up, it is great reading, and it could turn in to a diary that is publishable. I too am keeping a diary, but of my attempts to find work. Most of it is far too uninteresting to share, except for this afternoon while I was at the saucepan section of a department store, when I was telephoned to be asked if I could attend Social Services for psychometric testing followed by an interview, the details of which I had to read back and write down, much to the amusement of a nearby sales assistant.
Anonymous Len

7:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, this reminds me of the movie "North by Northwest" by Alfred Hitchcock, which I watched over the weekend. I can just imagine you as the lead role !

3:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Len,
R u sure the saucepan selection wasnt part of the pychometric testing ? If you choose a frying pan then your "sensible"
R u sure the shop assistant wasnt a spy ?

3:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Previous anonymous entrys are by Amy
I will now create an account for meself.

3:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home